Standard Iron Works, San Diego CA


The Standard Iron Works was founded in 1886 by Washington G. Rifenburg and Moses Hughes as a general foundry and machine shop. Mr. Rifenburg was described in 1890 as "...one of San Diego's reliable citizens and business men, a fruit-grower, a machinist and the inventor of the Wave Power Machine." The Wave Power Machine which was anchored offshore to generate mechanical power from the movement of ocean waves.

The range of this foundry's product line is unknown to us at this time. In 1894 the company was hired to recast one of the large church bells at Mission San Diego de Alcala in San Diego. The single bell was made from two of the original bells which had been sourced from Mexico in the 1790s. In 1934, Standard Iron Works produced a gold separating machine, which was unsuccessful, and in 1935 the company made a machine to fill sardine tins for the canning industry. The company apparently ceased operations in the 1960s.

If you have any additional information about this company, please Contact Us.

All photos © Ken Patton.


  Model (unknown)
  • Unusual ribbed appearance.
  • 0385
    Nozzles: 1x 2", 1x4"

    Location: San Diego, CA
    0386
    Nozzles: 1x 2", 2x4"

    Location: San Diego, CA


      Model (unknown)
  • "LA sleeve" style valve construction.
  • 0384
    Nozzles: 2x 2"

    Location: San Diego, CA
    2495
    Nozzles: 1x 2", 1x4"
    Location: Orange, CA
    Photo: Ken Patton
    2495b


    Photo: Ken Patton

    Back to Hydrant Pictures
    Questions? / Comments?
    Unless otherwise noted, all contents of these WWW pages © FireHydrant.org