E. Hawle & Co Armaturenwerke was founded by Engelbert Hawle in Vöcklabruck, Austria, in 1948. Mr. Hawle was an employee of the city of Vöcklabruck waterworks, and had invented a mobile flange for waterpipe. This became the first product made by the Hawle company in a simple two-man shop. Business grew slowly but steadily, and in 1958 Mr. Hawle invented a wedged-gate valve which brought dramatic growth to his company.Today E. Hawle & Company is a leading manufacturer of valves and pipeline fittings for the water and gas industries, with plants and subsidiary operations throughout Europe. The company is still family owned and operated by sons Erwin and Heinz Hawle. Fire hydrants were added to the product line in 1981, and the trademark lightweight and corrosion free hydrants made of stainless steel and aluminum were added around 1986. The total weight for the H4 hydrant in stainless steel is about 160 pounds, bonnet to shoe!
Note: All hydrants shown are traffic models with breakaway feature. Photos courtesy of E. Hawle & Co.
Unless otherwise noted, all contents of these WWW pages © 1996-2001, FireHydrant.org